Friday, September 14, 2007

I call myself a dollmaker.

I was being interviewed for a newspaper article and the reporter asked me if I called myself an artist. I told him, "I call myself a dollmaker." That is what I am. My love of dolls goes back to my childhood and I can remember at the age of twelve, walking into the kitchen and announcing to my Mother that I was too old to play with dolls. That was a major decision for me at the time because I loved my dolls so much. Well, here I am, many years later, playing with dolls once again.

For the past fifteen years I have worked with polymer clay making jewelry and small figures. Along the way, I would make a doll every now and then but I would go back to making what I knew would sell. Four years ago, I decided to "go for it" and I put all my efforts into creating dolls. All I can say is that those efforts turned into a passion and now I am having the time of my life creating one character after another.

Another aspect of my life is that of being a preacher's wife. And, I guess, I am known as "the preacher's wife" by a lot of people. I love being married to my wonderful minister husband and sharing our life together, but being a dollmaker allows me to be me. It gives me an identity all of my own. I am also known as "Mom" to two children and "Grandmother" to three. Two Himalayan cats and a Labradoodle dog think I am their Mom, too. I am very grateful for my life and I thank God for all of my blessings.

No comments: